Kenyan screen star, Lupita Nyong’o took to her Instagram page, he joy and excitement on her father’s new achievement as being a new Governor. She posted photos of herself, father and mother with touching caption sharing 10 ways her father has always been a loving and supportive champion.She wrote “Today is the day my father gets sworn in as the Governor of Kisumu County in Kenya. I thank all those who voted for him and wish him the very best as he embarks on this new journey of socio-political representation. To celebrate this day from afar, I reflect on the 10 Things My Daddy Told Me When I Was A Kid That Gave Me Confidence:1. You are smart: I took this to mean both that I was dressed well (We Kenyans say “smart” for “well-dressed”), but also that I was intelligent. It always made me feel special and valuable.
2. It will be OK: He said this whenever I was sad with the little burdens of my childhood (a fight with my friends, a broken doll, a lost favorite piece of clothing). He also said this when I was concerned with the big burdens of his adulthood (detention without trial, house arrests, caught in tear gas during violent riots). Daddy said this to me as he held me close and I always felt a sense of comfort and security from him.
3. You can do anything: Daddy never EVER made me feel limited by my sex.
4. Do whatever you want to do; just do it to excellence: Dreaming out loud was something he encouraged.
5. Knowledge is power: He ALWAYS reads and he is a walking example of how the power of an education never comes to an end.
6. Show me: My Daddy loves to learn from his children. He is not afraid to admit what he does not know.7. Consider the other side: there is always two sides to a coin. Being able to identify the other side of an argument makes yours stronger. It also makes you more empathetic.
8. You must stand up for what you believe in: This is a fundamental lesson from my father. He lives by it. It is why he serves: To literally make the world a better place.
9. Very Good! ‘A’ Minus: This was his way of saying that I did well, but also jokingly reminding me that there is always room for improvement.
10. Daddy loves baby: He has said this to me all my life. A reminder that he loves me, yes, but also that I will always be his little girl.
Daddy, congratulations! Baby loves Daddy!Credit: Lupita Nyong’o